Madrid, 7 October 2022 – On the occasion of the 30th anniversary of the European Advertising Standards Alliance (EASA), the Federation of European Data and Marketing (FEDMA) joined other EASA members to sign the Madrid Declaration.
Composed of five pillars reaffirming the industry’s commitment to maintaining and further developing advertising self-regulation across Europe, the Declaration aims to lay the foundations for EASA members in supporting the positioning of advertising as a force for good in promoting social values, such as environmental sustainability, inclusion, diversity, etc.
Specifically, the Declaration committed members to:
- Promote robustly-funded collective advertising self-regulation.
- Promote technology-enabled advertising self-regulation.
- Support independent and locally rooted advertising self-regulation.
- Enable a common European approach.
- Support responsive, inclusive, effective, and nimble advertising self-regulation
Representatives from the Spanish government and the European Commission attended the signing ceremony and delivered keynote speeches. First, Rafael Escudero Alday, Secretary General for Consumer Affairs and Gaming, addressed the audience. The keynote speeches were delivered by María Ángeles Benítez Salas, Director of the Representation of the European Commission in Spain, and Ana Gallego Torres, Director-General of the Directorate-General Justice and Consumers.
Please find the full press release on EASA’s website.